People often are surprised to hear that I rarely (if ever) watch TV “news” channels. (In fact I rarely watch TV at all-I prefer to do my own thinking!). I am from the Walter Cronkite generation where news organizations were trusted and were believed to be the defenders of the truth (and therefore ultimately our freedom) in America. What I see today is that neither side of the liberal-conservative split in this country gets the truth from any news organization. Rather both sides get talking points designed solely to discredit the other side at the expense of the truth.
I am concerned by the “so-called” Government shutdown because of its effect on my employees and my company. Financially it’s devastating to both. When I mention this concern I always get the response… “Oh don’t worry……this has happened several times in the past and everyone will eventually get paid.” Oh Yeah? Well let me tell you what doesn’t get paid back. First employees that cannot be replaced leave to find new jobs when things are uncertain. People are trying to take care of their families and despite what many may think…there are a number of small company employees that are living paycheck to paycheck. Who pays for the interest on loans, the cost of ruined vacations, delayed family plans for attending life events like marriages, graduations, and other postponed or cancelled opportunities because of the uncertainty of the shutdown? And who pays for the small business accounting, Human resources, and management time spent dealing with the extra problems caused by the shutdown? The answer of course is we do…not the Government or the “news” organizations. The bottom line is that these kind of “power tantrums” hurt a lot of people. The extra slap in the face is that we have to sit daily and listen to both sides spin and twist their ego-based power trips into self-righteous fairy tales designed to make them seem like the victims!!
BRC is a servant-leader organization, which means we ultimately put those we serve ahead of the “organization”. It means sometimes we have to do things that can’t be found in Harvard MBA textbooks. We have to take he hard path and not the easy one……it means we have to put people ahead of principle. Don’t get me wrong…we are not perfect and we don’t always make the right decision, but at least we try! Apparently our representatives, the ones that supposedly SERVE and REPRESENT US (?) haven’t learned this lesson yet. Are we truly a representative from of government? But…you may say…our representatives are charged with serving citizens on all sides of the issues equally. I agree! I have employees on both ends of the political spectrum that are negatively affected. So My question is this….On who’s behalf are these boneheaded decisions being made?
As always you are welcome to weigh in on this issue if you feel led to. I don’t claim to be right all the time but I do make a strong claim to the right to express my opinion and I am equally happy to listen to (and respect) yours.
Dr. Andy (making a dangerous foray into the political arena)
BRC CEO and CTO
“Cognitive Psychophysicist with an interest in almost everything” Roy—Please Have Angela add a new hire post here–Than
FOOTNOTE: It was suggested to me by a very astute employee that I add a sentence or two each time I add an article to the blog to highlight one or more of our most pressing current open hiring requisitions. These can be found on the BRC website at www.brc2.com. BRC Employees that refer someone that is hired to fill one of these open positions will receive a minimum referral bonus of $1000 (after tax). Here is today’s featured open position:
Scientist and Engineer Level 3, (Instrumentation Engineer) 96 OG Det 1
Job Code: 18-413-004
Location: Eglin AFB, FL
Clearance Required: Secret
Job Description/Essential Functions:
Bevilacqua Research Corporation (BRC) is a Service Disabled Veteran Owned, Small Business based in Huntsville, Alabama incorporated in 1992. BRC provides “best-value” technical and management solutions to a diverse government and commercial customer base in the following key business areas: test & evaluation, systems analysis & integration, security & intelligence, and R&D.
This position provides technical and managerial support to the 96 Operations Group, Detachment 1 for the developmental test and evaluation of next generation Air Force systems. The candidate will function as a key member of an integrated test team with the system program office, system contractor, system integrator, and test personnel.
- Design new instrumentation systems or modifications to existing equipment. Develop instrumentation packages to collect test data from aircraft data busses, video systems, and weapon systems to support test objectives.
- Coordinate with integrated test team personnel to ensure data collection requirements are thoroughly defined to obtain a valid assessment of the test item performance.
- Develop instrumentation plans and detailed modification packages to support airworthiness certifications.
- Program software applications to configure and control data acquisition systems to support flight test activities. Interface with technicians to install instrumentation equipment to include data recorders, data busses, camera systems, and discrete sensors on test aircraft.
- Perform duties onboard test aircraft during ground operations.
- Travel to offsite locations as required and perform other duties as assigned.
- Active SECRET clearance is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field and 3 years of relevant experience is required. Six years of applicable technical experience may be substituted for the BS degree (total 9 years) or four years’ experience with an Associate’s Degree (total 7 years).
- Must have experience interpreting and producing technical drawings and schematics.
- Must have experience instrumenting digital data busses, avionics, and communications systems.
- Must have experience with digital and analog sensors to include accelerometers, thermocouples, and strain gauges.
- Must be able to work on or near aircraft during ground operations.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of an integrated test team.
- Must be able to effectively communicate orally and possess technical writing skills.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Windows and Office applications are required.
Other Job Information (if applicable):
- Experience instrumenting and testing military aircraft/systems is highly desired.
- Design experience using SolidWorks is highly desired.
To apply for this opportunity or see what other open opportunities are available at Bevilacqua Research Corporation, please visit our careers page at https://portal.brc2.com/careers/.
Bevilacqua Research Corporation. is an equal opportunity employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans and VEVRAA federal contractor. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.